Advancing Sustainability Leaders
Advancing Sustainability Leaders (ASL) was an innovative leadership development program run by the NSW Government through its Water for Life Program, and funded by the NSW Climate Change Fund in 2011-2012. ASL was designed to assist participants in the development of the skills required to become effective sustainability leaders and catalysts for sustainability at work and in their community. It encouraged leading-practice water sustainability programs, particularly those using whole-of-council approaches supported by education.
ARIES was commissioned to design and deliver the training, coaching and personal assessment components of this unique personalised program, tailored to senior local government staff.
The 2011-2012 ASL Program
The complete ASL program included:
- seven face-to-face training and program days
- an intensive off-site two-day retreat
- individual assessment of preferred working styles and current leadership strengths to be developed over the course of the program
- professional development planning
- up to five hours of private phone coaching and mentoring
- peer learning, networking and the exchange of ideas
- guest speakers
- group activities
- on-the-job development activities.
The ARIES component of this year-long leadership program was led by ARIES team member Louise Metcalf (Director of Pax Leader Labs).